Gwen Stefani


Gwen Stefani Goes Mini


November 14, 2011



Gwen Stefani may be the mother of all celebrity mamas. There’s hardly a day when the singer, L.A.M.B. and Harajuku Lovers designer, and L’OrĂ©al spokeswoman isn’t snapped with Kingston, 5, and Zuma, 3—often mohawked and punkily dressed like Mom.

With her new collaboration, Harajuku Mini for Target, Stefani is broadening her scope to let other kids (and moms) in on the secret. She’d done childrenswear before, but was limited by its distribution and price point. “It’s just so exciting for me, because now I can do real fashion,” she said at a launch event in L.A. this weekend. “Before it was like, ‘OK, Gwen, you can do a onesie with a character on it.’ But that’s not fashion, you can get that anywhere.”

The 80-piece exclusive collection includes apparel and accessories for kids aged 6 months to 16 years old. Stefani emphasized the affordable price and the grown-up styling as the key selling points. “If you look at the line, it reeks of everything that I’ve worn and done, especially this first collection. I wanted it to be a real condensed version of things that I’ve done in my career and to shrink them down. Actual prints that I’m using are actually right off of costumes that I’ve worn, and you can pull them right up to dresses that I’ve worn and things like that,” she said. “There’s really a traditional side to it, because that’s really my style. I’ve always really liked that traditional kind of English schoolgirl type of look, but there’s also an edgy modern thing going on, which is what I have always loved about Japanese culture. You’ve got the deep tradition of Japan and then you’ve got their futuristic modern thing, and I love that whole mix of masculine and feminine. I think this line really has all that in it.”


Photo: JB Lacroix / WireImage




Comments

Popular Posts