Footloose


Footloose Once More






I was probably 10 years old when I first saw the original, on VHS from Blockbuster,” Kenny Wormald, who stars as Ren MacCormack in the new remake of the 1984 dance classic, said. “Going into this, I knew the magnitude of the film and the responsibility that we had—I think we upheld that.”

Last night came the true test when the film made its New York debut at the Tribeca Grand Hotel. Wormald and his co-star Julianne Hough stepped out for the Cinema Society screening, alongside Brad Goreski, Christian Siriano, Petra Nemcova, and Lorenzo Martone. Before the screening, both the actors and guests couldn’t help but chatter about their favorite dance films, citing everything from Dirty Dancing to Save the Last Dance. “I grew up tap dancing, so Singing in the Rain was a key one for me,” said Wormald, who kicked off his dance career at age 6 after deciding soccer and baseball weren’t going to work out.

Though both Wormald and Hough have strong dance credentials, they still had to put in plenty of prep time for the Craig Brewer-directed film, shot in Atlanta. “I definitely worked out really hard for this role,” Hough admits. “I show off my stomach in the movie and just putting on those red boots and tight little jeans, that was fun.”




Photo: Nicholas Hunt / PatrickMcMullan.com




Comments

Popular Posts