Lady Gaga to Explain Her Facial Prosthetics

Harper’s Bazaar Forces Lady Gaga to Explain Her Facial Prosthetics

Harper’s Bazaar Forces Lady Gaga to Explain Her Facial Prosthetics
Photo: Terry Richardson for Harper's Bazaar
Of course Lady Gaga didn't appear on the cover of Vogue with facial prosthetics. Fake bones like that are not Vogue. But Harper's Bazaar, which has a cheeky sense of humor about fashion as it relates to The World, let Gaga have them. "Gaga emerged from makeup at our shoot with pointy shoulders and sharp protrusions on her forehead and cheekbones. After meeting 'Mother Monster,' we decided to go with it, bumps and all," the magazine's special projects editor Laura Brown tells us. And the story, by fashion scribe Derek Blasberg, fixates on the bones. Because, really: WTF, Gaga?
Photo: Terry Richardson for Harper's Bazaar
How long does it take to apply the makeup and prosthetics to her face and arms?
"Well, first of all," she says, "they're not prosthetics. They're my bones."
Okay, so when did the bones appear?
"They've always been inside of me, but I have been waiting for the right time to reveal to the universe who I truly am."
Did she will them to come out for this album?
"They come out when I'm inspired."
Is she worried that this new look will inspire other people to "grow" similar bones?
"We all have these bones!" she says tersely. "They're the light from inside of us. Do you mean body modification?"
Yes.
"No, I'm not concerned about that."
The reason I'm pushing this is that in the past, Gaga has spoken openly about her drug use while at the same time being quick to clarify that she doesn't endorse it. So one can't help but wonder if she has considered that some of her Little Monsters, as she calls her fans, may actually hurt themselves trying to emulate her transformation.
"I haven't hurt myself," she says. Then, with her darkened eyes narrowed, she continues, "I want you to be careful how you view this."
Help me view it then.
"It's artistic expression," Gaga says. "It's a performance-art piece. I have never, ever encouraged my fans or anyone to harm themselves, nor do I romanticize masochism. Body modification is part of the overarching analysis of 'Born This Way.' In the video, we use Rico, who is tattooed head to toe [including a skull on his face]. He was born that way. Although he wasn't born with tattoos, it was his ultimate destiny to become the man he is today."
And this was Gaga's destiny?
"I have never had plastic surgery, and there are many pop singers who have. I think that promoting insecurity in the form of plastic surgery is infinitely more harmful than an artistic expression related to body modification."

The connection between Gaga's "bones" to drug use seems pretty extreme, but congrats to Blasberg for waxing metaphorical. Also to Lady Gaga, for saying, on what is apparently a related note, that this was her inspiration for the Nick Night–directed "Born This Way" video: "A lot of weed." Holy shit. Now we can relate.

Comments

Popular Posts